Tuesday 14 August 2012

Excuses, excuses. And more excuses.

"You only live once, that's the motto nigga, YOLO." - Drake

"You Only Live Once". Yes, that's true. Unless you're like an undercover cat and you're hiding your other 8 lives, you've only really got one go at this life thing.

In all honesty though, I've never used the term "YOLO" at the end of any sentence, ever. Mainly because of the way this term is resorted to by my peers, or more so, the reasons as to WHY this term is resorted to by a large number of people. I really believe this whole "You Only Live Once" movement is an excuse for peoples reckless living. Most people.

"Its Friday night, lets get wasted all weekend, YOLO!!", "It's okay if I sleep around, I'm young and duh, YOLO!", "I'm going to pop bottles in the cluuuub and spend money I don't have, YOLO.", and it goes on and on. It's really all sad and horrible. All if a sudden this catch phrase from a song has become a way of life for the masses. I mean first of all, did everyone really think they could live TWICE before the "YOLO regime" came around?

 At the end of the day, people will do what they want and it's going to be out there. But I really feel that the people of my generation have taken a completely new turn, from being focused on our goals and living healthy safe lives. There's no virtue in what people do anymore. There's no trust or loyalty in any relationships that they form. It's life in the fast lane and "La Vida Loca" all the time. Sometimes i really wish we could all live the way our parents lived. No social networking sites, no MTV (curse those reality shows). Yes that sounds like I'm putting the advancement wagon in reverse, but is there really any advancement in the PEOPLE of society with the reckless living going on left, right and centre??

15 year old girls "dating" men twice their age, 12 year olds writing about how wasted they were the night before, 18 year old girls bragging about how many guys they've slept with. Where exactly is this going?? I have nothing against Drake and his music. Actually, I love me some Drake :p *cringe*, and quite honestly, that's not even the point of the matter. The whole YOLO thing is an example just to show how the youth of today try to justify their behaviour and "norms". Suddenly, You Only Live Once has been translated to "You have a short life, so live like a fool." Yeah sure, a long life isn't guaranteed, but if you're blessed enough to not get run over by a truck sooner than later, then LIFE is probably going to be the longest thing you ever do.

I mean, YOLO could have been defined as "You only live once - so do it right and live a happy, influential, responsible life." But no, "parry parry parry" was written in cryptic. Somewhere.

I've never been one to follow the masses, or really do what everyone else is doing, yet it still sucks that my peers have lost footing in this world. So I hope people can stop following "trends" and making excuses for the wrong choices they make, cause at the end of the party you're on your own. Probably nursing a drinking problem, empty bank account and an unwanted pregnancy.

2 comments:

  1. I've asked this before and I'ma go ahead and ask again: DID Y'ALL THINK YOU COULD LIVE TWICE before YOLO came out??

    It's misused... but it makes everything sound more....fulfilling :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, but we never realised that life was so short, Im for the whole YOLO mentality, i believe you should live your one life in a fulfilling way, thats why i take part in everything i see, from Guitar lessons yesterday, to Making Robots this afternoon(you should check out my new Hovercraft). Version of YOLO is that you should learn as much and experience as much as you can, so that you can look back at your life and appreciate the vast see of knowledge you have attained over the years.

    But Nonetheless, good piece though, on point and against the stereotypes as always, i like that.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete